|Grade, Semester||Year 2 2nd semest [Department of Biosciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering]|
|Category||Basic Major Subjects|
|Elective, Credits||Elective Requisites 2credit|
1. Cultivation and isolation of actinomycetes derived from soil samples collected from various places in Japan
2. Purification of streptomycin from the fermentation broth of Streptomyces griseus using an ion exchange resin
3. Antibacterial activity against Bacillus subtilis by agar plate diffusion method
4. Extraction of gibberellins and brassinosteroids from plant materials and purification by column chromatography
5. Bioassay methods to determine biological activity of gibberellins and brassinosteroids
Living organisms produce biologically active substances. For example, plants synthesize plant hormones which are involved in regulation of various growth and physiological phenomena in the life cycle. On the other hand, more than just a few microorganisms produce antibiotics, which we utilize as medicines. In this course, biological and chemical methodologies dealing with biologically active substances of plant and microorganism origin will be studied.
Grading will be decided based on reports. To pass, students must earn at least 60 points out of 100.
|Textbook||A textbook will be distributed.|
Students have to prepare each experiment by reading the distributed textbook and summarizing the content of next experiment in a notebook. This preparation will take 90 min.
After the experiment, students have to write and summarize the results of the experiment in a notebook. This review will take 90 min.
|1||Cultivation and isolation of actinomycetes|
Extraction of gibberellins and brassinosteroids
|2||Purification of gibberellins by column chromatography|
|3||Purification of brassinosteroids by column chromatography|
|4||Observation of actionomycetes|
Quantification of streptomycin
|5||Purification of streptomycin using an ion exchange resin|
Calculation of antibacterial activity by agar plate diffusion method
|6||Bioassay to determine biological activity of gibberellins and brassinosteroids|
|7||Calculation of adsorption and extraction rates of streptomycin|
|8||Calculation of biological activity of gibberellins and brassinosteroids|